How do we know if we’re following the right paths in our lives? Should we count the amount of money in our bank accounts? Should we measure the size of our homes, or compare the busyness of our schedules?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a field manual to give us the answer, but there is another system that we can use to identify whether or not we’re on the right track. Happiness, satisfaction, and fulfillment are all synonyms for the emotion that functions as the litmus test for this task.
Having a bad day at work… again? Can’t seem to find the time to do the things that you really want to do… ever? Why does this seem to be a recurring theme for so many people? Maybe this is just the way life is, a constant stream of drudgery and mundanity.
Personally, I don’t think that’s the case. I think most people just get stuck in a rut, and have trouble getting out by themselves. So what is the best way to indicate if you’re on the right track? I suggest doing a quick self-evaluation, and being completely honest with yourself.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I genuinely happy with myself?
- Am I satisfied with my current position in life?
- Am I living in the past?
- Am I passionate about my work, or just collecting a paycheck?
- Am I truly doing what I want, or what someone else wants?
- Am I holding myself back, or is anyone holding me back?
- Am I surrounding myself with people that I love?
- Am I yearning to be somewhere else?
- Am I living according to my values?
- Am I pursuing my dream, or settling for less?
Were your results primarily positive? Are you making progress, or are you stuck in the mud? Allow yourself to be present, and clear any negative thoughts from your mind. Take a deep breath, and settle in the moment. You are now free to move forward, and your future self is awaiting your arrival.